Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New goal

I haven't written in two days. Whoops. but I've been busy. I have to get better a keeping the goal of writing. I wanted to set the goal of writing at least a page a day, no matter how late at night it is, even if I can't think of anything to write next. Usually it just starts flowing. I'll start with a small idea and it becomes larger and larger as I go. When this happens I get very happy that I came up with new material, but sad at the same time because the reality is, I cannot spend as much time writing as I would like.
Ii is easier for me to write on pen and paper than on a computer though. There's something about it that seems more classical to me, and I am a sucker for classic. (It makes me feel like Jo from "Little Women" ha!) I love the way it is so much easier to annotate on a paper, or when I change my mind about something I just scratch it out but not completely so that I can still see it, just in case I want to use it later in a different way. In case it works better in a different context. It's so much harder to do that in a word document, hence the name "pen and paper"

I actually got the idea from a tweet J.K. Rowling posted. One of the only three tweets she has ever posted "...as pen and paper are my priority at the moment" and I thought that was such a great way to word what I'm trying to do. With the exception, of course, that writing is not yet my main job. I can't get a lot of writing done at work, especially lately with how busy it has been. At least doing this has kept me in a good mood and being super nice to patients. They can't get to me, they are not worth my time, I have better things to think about.

1 comment: