Monday, January 25, 2010

Other's suffering does not equal a good laugh

Sometimes the insensitivity of some people amazes me.
Last night there was a fire in my neighborhood, right across the street from my sister's friend. There were several firetrucks trying to put out the fire and it was very chaotic for a couple of hours.
My sister's friend called her and told her how cool it was that there was a fire right across the street. She was taking pictures and videos and at the end of it all she admited that she "had fun".
Now, I know this is only a 12 year old girl, but so is my sister, and I know that my sister knows that someone else's suffering is not "fun". What if it was your house burning down? would it still be fun?
Children should be taught that even if it is not possible to help when someone else is going through something, it is never ok to draw pleasure from it.
But nevertheless, there are children that are caring and sensitive, and give future generations hope:
"Yesterday I saw an old lady struggling to lift her foot onto the first step outside a department store.

As soon as the little boy coming out of the doors with his mum saw her, he rushed over to take her arm and help her up the stairs. His mum looked so proud.

Good boys who will grow into good men GMH. "

Try to spread a little more love
Polly

1 comment: